- Location: The Faxon Company office building, Norwood, MA (1988)
- Client: The Faxon Company, Inc.
- Size: 5 pieces from 105″ x 48 ” x 48″ to 30″ x 24″ x 24″
- Materials: 5,000 laminated books
- Budget: $21,000
- Artist: Mags Harries
- Photo Credits: Kathy Chapman
A Forest for a paper company
The Faxon Company, Inc., was an international book brokerage that supplied mostly libraries. This public art installation both defines the space of the Faxon Company’s green house-like lounge area and provocatively deals with issues of environmentalism and learning.
Trees & Books
The five freestanding pieces are constructed from books and periodicals that have been laminated together and then shaped into tree forms with a chain saw.
The installation evokes a multiplicity of images and thoughts both sad and humorous, telling of abandoned book, destroyed forests, as well as recycling and rejuvenation.